Floyd Mayweather Jr. would return to the ring 'for the right price'



Many sporting news and boxing websites rated Mayweather as the best pound for pound boxer in the world twice in a span of ten years, including The Ring, Sports Illustrated, ESPN, BoxRec, Fox Sport and Yahoo Sports.  Mayweather topped theForbes and Sports Illustrated lists of the 50 highest-paid athletes of 2012 and 2013 respectively, and the Forbes list again in both 2014 and 2015, listing him as the highest paid athlete in the world. Despite of being content of being a millionaire Mayweather is not ruling out a return to the ring.

"For the right price, I may come back," Mayweather said when receiving his Boxing Writers Association of America Fighter of the Year award on Friday.

His boast came on the heels of some reflective comments he made in an interview with the Los Angeles Times about his success and the realities of long-term health problems associated with boxing.

"As of now, I'm happy with being retired," Mayweather said. "A lot of fighters have to box. I don't have to box. I don't get the urge to go to the boxing gym. My urge is giving back to the sport now, helping (promote) the young fighters."

"People have to realize, when I look at my Uncle Roger and even Ali, boxing is wear and tear. And when I look at it, I'm really thankful I was a defensive fighter. I have all my faculties, a sharp mind, and I know who I am."

"People said I was scared, a coward, to fight Manny Pacquiao. Everyone can have their own opinion. I always said, 'If it's meant to happen, it’ll happen.' At one particular time, that fight was worth $60 million. I waited until the time was right, when things were on my terms and we were the A side and we could do things our way, we turned that into a $600-million fight."



Source: latimes

0 comments

Post a Comment